Science Alive! Chemistry Experiments
Written by The Living Paintings
Illustrated by The Living Paintings
Suitable for: 11-14 years (Key stage 3)
Sponsored by: The Kirby Laing Foundation
Available braille grades:
This book is designed to be a fun and interactive introduction to some key concepts in chemistry at Key Stage 3 and designed for use at school or at home. We explore how changes of state occur in the real world and include experiments to demonstrate some of the concepts. For example, we explore the concept of crystallisation by looking at the famous giant crystal caves in Mexico and then show you how to make crystals of your own. We explore the concept of melting and freezing through looking at why salt trucks are used and then investigate this further by doing a tasty experiment, making homemade ice cream! The readers include: an introduction by eminent scientist and science presenter, Jim Al-Khalili; scientist, presenter and pyrotechnician, Fran Scott; evolutionary biologist and broadcaster, Ben Garrod and astronaut, Tim Peake!
Listen to an audio clip
This book is designed to be a fun and interactive introduction to some key concepts in chemistry at Key Stage 3. We explore changes of state and demonstrate this in five fun experiments that you can do at home.
Firework rockets were first developed in China centuries ago. They first used solid fuel composed of charcoal so carbon, sulphur and potassium nitrate which we call gun powder.
It looks like this was a successful launch. Let’s talk a bit more about the chemistry and what’s happening inside the bottle. This gas builds up inside the bottle until the pressure is enough to pop the lid and propel the bottle into the air. You can take this experiment even further with different sized bottles and different combinations of water and tablets to find out what combination gives you the highest flying rocket.
Engines start and lift off
- A collection of raised tactile pictures.
- Audio descriptions with music and sound effects in your chosen format of either CD or USB.
- A large print colour image pack.
- Guidance notes for parents and teachers to help you make the most of using this book.
- An ‘Articles for the Blind’ returns label for the free and convenient return of the box.
Touch to see image list
1.Introduction and The Nature of matter – Particle Theory
2. In Action: Salt Truck
3. Experiment: Home Made Ice Cream
4. In Action: Explosive Elements! Fireworks and Rockets
5. Experiment: Fizzy Rockets!
6. In Action: Volcanic Eruptions in the Triassic period
7. Experiment: Volcanic Eruption!
8. In Action: Eat up your Elements
9. Experiment: Lemon Battery
10. In Action: The Crystal Caves of Mexico
11. Experiment: Crystal Creations